In reaction to the provincial COVID-19 modelling released on Wednesday, the provincial NDP is requesting a public health order to limit gathering sizes, and wants the government to release all the Chief Medical Health Officer’s pandemic recommendations to date and going forward. Health Critic Vicki Mowat is also calling for greater independence to be granted Dr. Saqib Shahab’s position.
She believes the province was looking to Dr. Shahab as the guiding light through the first and second waves, but now he is being ignored.
Shahab has advised the public to restrict their gathering sizes, but Mowat says the government has never carried through with a public health order.
NDP Leader Ryan Meili notes that there was a study released last year which shows that Dr. Shahab has the lowest amount of independence compared to the other provinces. It means the Chief Medical Health Officer can’t enact a public health order or a state of emergency, but they can in British Columbia, Ontario and other places, Meili says.
He adds that the province reached a sad milestone today (Thurs) with 800 deaths now since the pandemic began, and over 100 so far in October with more than a week to go. Provincial modelling shows pressure on our health system for months even if the number of cases of COVID-19 are going down.
The President of the Canadian Medical Association has responded to the modelling, calling on the government to reinstate strict public measures as recommended by medical experts. Dr. Katharine Smart says any further delays are simply not acceptable. Her recommendations are to: increase vaccination rates through mandatory vaccination in health care settings, immediately institute circuit breakers, and seek help from other jurisdictions to provide additional support for workers and patients in need.
















