There were several groups trying to get the government’s attention by holding protests on the front steps of the Legislature on Wednesday, the first day of the fall session.
There was a similar protest in Saskatoon in the morning at the Saskatoon Cabinet Office with both protests centered around SIS or the Saskatchewan Income Support program.
The group is calling on the province to resume operations for 300 social housing units that currently sit vacant while also looking for the government to increase Saskatchewan Income Support benefits and reverse changes made to the program recently.
Regina Anti-Poverty Ministry spokesperson Peter Gilmer says it goes beyond funding when it comes to what’s needed for Saskatchewan’s homeless population. He suggests making use of the vacant social housing, and expanding housing where rent is geared to income.
Gilmer says it’s impossible for people to meet all their non-shelter needs on $285 a month, and it’s impossible for a single person to meet all their rent and utilities for $575 a month in Saskatoon and Regina, and $525 a month elsewhere.
Throne Speech proceedings did feature an outdoor component that had to be cancelled due to the multiple protests being held. Legislative Assembly security say there threats made that made the cancellation necessary.
The Premier’s Press Secretary stated in an email that in light of recent threats and on the advice of security officials, the outdoor portion of the planned ceremonies were cancelled.
Earlier this month there was news of a threatening email sent to Chief Medical Health Officer, Dr. Saqib Shahab and to an elected official.
















