In an update provided by Saskatchewan RCMP on Monday afternoon, they say one of the suspects, Damien Sanderson, was found in a grassy area dead with multiple injuries. He was found around 11:30 a.m. Monday morning at a location that was under investigation. The injuries are not self-inflicted but it wasn’t confirmed that he was stabbed.
Myles Sanderson
RCMP have indicated that Myles Sanderson may be injured. As well, RCMP have confirmed that Myles Sanderson is Damien’s brother. They want the public to know that Myles Sanderson was injured because he may seek medical help. Police have not established a motive at this time but have confirmed that Myles criminal record dates back a number of years and includes both property and persons crime. Myles Sanderson is described as 6 foot 1 and 240 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. Police say he may be in a black Nissan Rogue with Saskatchewan license plate 119 MPI.
The RCMP say they believe there were other individuals targeted in the attacks but there is no word on what exact weapon was used, however, law enforcement officials say no children or infants are deceased and the youngest victim was born in 1999 which would make them 23 years old.
While Damien Sanderson was found at the location of the stabbing spree, Regina Police Chief Evan Bray says they feel the information regarding a sighting of the suspect vehicle is still relevant and believed to be true information. Chief Bray says their investigation has confirmed the information and while it is unknown who the other person in the vehicle spotted in Regina may have been, they are operating on the premise that Myles Sanderson was in Regina on Sunday. Chief Bray says eye witness information confirmed the license plate.
RCMP Assistant Commissioner Rhonda Blackmore says they can’t say if Myles is a suspect in the death of Damien but it is an investigative avenue they are following up on. She says Myles has an extensive and lengthy criminal record and had been posted as unlawfully at large since May 27th. As well, they believe all the victims were stabbed but she says they are still confirming that at this time.
Aerial searches are part of the investigation and as of the most recent update there are now 11 deceased (including Damien Sanderson), 19 injured and 13 crime scenes to investigate.
The Saskatchewan Health Authority says as a symbol of support for the people and communities they serve, that were impacted by the tragedy, the SHA is lowering its flags to half-mast. The Code Orange that was enacted on Sunday has been discontinued as the SHA no longer expects an intake of a high number of patients as a result of the situation at the James Smith Cree Nation and surrounding area. A Code Orange was also enacted in the aftermath of the Humboldt Broncos bus crash which claimed the lives of 16 people and injured 13 more.
















