The Chief of Police says the police service is also very concerned about the violence in Prince Albert on the weekend after which, police are now investigating two more homicides.
A late day news conference was held Monday where Chief Jonathan Bergen said there have been six homicides to date in the community in 2022 with arrests in three of the homicides.
Two men died in separate incidents on Saturday. Just after 5:30 a.m. Prince Albert Police responded to the 800 block of 11th Avenue East for a report that a man had been shot. A 32 year old man died of his injuries. Less than 24 hours later, around 11:30 p.m. officers responded to a report of a weapons complaint where a 47 year old man had suffered serious injuries. He succumbed to those injuries in hospital.
Sherry McLennan with the Métis Nation — Saskatchewan posed the question – what are they going to do to get their city back?
“So we need to come together as leaders, I think, and have maybe a town hall where we can brainstorm and get the leaders together, and community members too. Metis Central has had a little program where we did eyes on the street. We didn’t get involved in anything but we got out there and we were watching and making sure people were safe on the streets. So, just little things that we can do to help out our police.”
Chief Bergen says over 400 calls for service on the weekend puts demand on the police service and puts them in reactive mode all the time. Chief Bergen says they do have some vacancies on the police force which they are working to fill but it takes time to train police officers.
















