The 2,000 backpacks, organized by the Saskatoon Tribal Council to giveaway to families financially struggling, were gone in a few short hours Friday.
Working alongside volunteers to fill backpacks were members of the Saskatoon Blades and Saskatchewan Rush. Nutrien President and CEO, Ken Seitz, STC Tribal Chief, Mark Arcand and Saskatoon Mayor, Charlie Clark were also assisting volunteers.
Tribal Chief Mark Arcand says, “The demand is there and we do it for one reason only, the children. It doesn’t matter your race, skin color or ethnic background we want to help everyone.”
Organizers said there were people starting to line-up for the backpacks starting shortly before 7:00 a.m. in the morning. The backpack giveaway did not begin until 9:00 a.m. and by 12:30 p.m. all 2,000 backpacks had been given away.
This year’s event marks the eighth time the STC has hosted the Back to School Backpack giveaway.
Arcand notes, that for those families who did not make it in time to receive a backpack, volunteers have taken contact info as the STC wants to support families who are struggling in any way they can.
The goal from the STC next year is to double the number of backpacks to 4000.
The backpacks were filled with notebooks, crayons, binders, and really everything needed going into the 2022 school year. Families were also able to enjoy a free barbeque, carnival and free haircuts for the children as they prepare to go back to school.
















