With frigid temperatures over much of Saskatchewan on Thursday, during Question Period, the Official Opposition wanted to know why the government waited until people lost their lives before announcing their cold weather strategy.
Critic for Social Services and Housing Meara Conway notes that two people have been found outside, frozen to death – a man from Montreal Lake Cree Nation was found frozen to death in Prince Albert and a Saskatoon man died outside of a downtown church. Conway says, “This is not growth that works for everyone. In a rich province like Saskatchewan, no one should die alone in the cold with nowhere to go.”
Minister of Social Services Gene Makowsky says they have been working on strategies for months. They have worked with community-based organizations to ensure people are looked after and earlier this week the government announced that up to $1.7 million would be spent to increase the number of emergency shelter spaces in Saskatchewan.
















